Sunday, November 8, 2009

Gangrape

dumbstruck time
stands motionless
head hung in shame

broken thoughts fragment
the child-woman’s dreams
dreams woven across time
since the first stirrings of passion
when love’s frenzied pulse-beats
went racing through her veins
disbelief breeds in the
blood-soaked sheet
evil lurks in every drop of air
howling winds pound on
the lone window-pane
hailstones rain ruthless

as dead dreams fall heavy on her
she staggers out in tatters
bruised breasts smell of raw flesh
the soul weeps in the ashes
of burnt apparels of dignity

a feeble futile attempt
to unwrite the story fails
time stands stone-still
wondering whether to
usher in the next moment.

note:this poem is published in JOURNEYS, S.Africa.

2 comments:

Anubha Yadav said...

Rita

I will call you that from now......i think it suits you morethan ma'am.....
this one is very evocative.....

Saumya Kulshreshtha said...

Hello ma'am,
Saumya from JMC this side. As much touched as i felt while listening to you the other day, today i felt touched to read all your poems, I mean, I read five, and they all struck a nerve. You have found a fan in me ma'am. I hope your book finds a place on my book shelf soon enough.

I shall be a regular follower of your blog too.

Regards,
Saumya